This page reflects the benefits of the Sethu Bandhasana or the bridge Yoga pose.
The term Sethu Bandhasana has been derived from the
words 'Sethu', whch means bridge, and 'Bandha', which means lock. It
literally means 'constructing a bridge' and mainly comprises of building
a sort-of 'bridge' with the body, mostly making use of hips and legs.
Sethu Bandhasana is mainly meant to help the body relax and get rid of
stress. The yoga asana also helps strengthens the muscles of the
buttocks, apart from the back and hamstrings and is great for
invigorating and refreshing tired legs. It even stimulates the thyroid
gland and the lungs, if practiced on a regular basis.
- First of all, you need to lie down on your back, on a smooth and
firm surface, mostly the floor.
- Now, bend both the knees, while placing your feet flat on, and
parallel to, the floor.
- Keep your legs and feet hip-width apart and parallel to each
- Your arms need to go to the side of your body. Keep your palms
facing downward and have your fingertips lightly touch the heels.
- The arms should be placed down in such a way that area between
the shoulder blades lifts from the ground gently.
- As you inhale, put down pressure into your arms and shoulders,
thrusting with your feet, so as to life your chest fully, raising
the spine upwards.
- Now, take a couple of slow and deep breaths and hold the position
for 5 to 7 breaths.
- Exhaling your breath, return to the original position and
gradually, roll the spine back to the floor.
- While performing the Sethu Bandhasana, make sure not to clench
your buttocks, rather move your knees away from you and press down
into your heels, to bring the spine upwards.
- The bridge pose that you attain as a part of the Sethu Bandhasana
has been know to help build core as well as the lower body strength.
- The pose can help a person open the front of the thighs and hips
very easily, bridging flexibility.
- The bridge pose is believed to invigorate as well as fuel the
nervous system and endocrine system.
- On attaining the pose perfectly, a person experiences the tension
ebbing away from his shoulders and the lower back.
- Apart from increasing the elasticity of the body, the bridge pose
helps strengthen the abdominal muscles.
- In case you are suffering from headaches, backache insomnia,
fatigue, or anxiety, you will find the asana to be very beneficial.
- Sethu Bandhasana is very good for those who have the problem of
high BP, sinusitis, asthma and osteoporosis.
- Sethu Bandhasana is meant to be performed in combination with
proper teaching from a qualified Yoga teacher. So, please do not try
this asana at home, on your own.
- Sethu Bandhasana should not be performed by those who have
undergone knee or neck injury. It is also not recommended for
Comment On This Article