Ardha Sarvangasana is a significant Yoga pose. Ardha Sarvangasana helps in proper thyroid function and strengthening of abdomen.
Yoga is one of the oldest form physical disciplines
in existence. There are numerous types of asana that are performed in
Yoga, one of them being Ardha Sarvangasana. It is the Queen of all the
asans. Just as the name 'Sarvang' suggests 'all parts', the asan is
essentially concerned with all the parts of the body. A unique pose,
Ardha Sarvangasana ensures rejuvenation of the whole system. It is also
referred to as The Shoulder Stand, Candle Posture and Pan Body Posture.
In this form of asan, the entire weight of the body lies on the shoulder
blade. The exercise proves to be beneficial in strengthening the
abdomen. It also helps in proper thyroid functioning. Ardha Sarvangasana
can be done two times a day - once in the morning and then in the
evening. In the following lines, we have mentioned the exact steps
needed for performing Ardha Sarvangasana, its benefits and people who
should not do the exercise.
How To Do Ardha Sarvangasana
- The first step would be to lie flat on the back. Then, with the
help of your hands, lift your legs up into air.
- The position of the hands should be such that it should be on the
lower back. Make sure that your elbows and lower arms rest on the
- The weight of your body should be on your shoulders and from mid
to upper back, but not on the neck.
- Once you have attained the desired posture, hold at the posture
and breath deeply for 5 to 10 minutes. Increase the duration of
holding the posture, gradually, over time.
- At the time of coming down, slowly lower your legs. In the
process, do not forget to keep them straight. This would mean a
little workout for your abdominal muscles as well.
- Make sure that in the process of doing the asan you face no
- For the beginners, it is not possible to attain the correct
posture, as the abdominal muscles are not strong enough. In that
case, the best bet would be to allow the legs to come forward
towards the face.
- To attain best results, performing Matsyasan immediately after
Benefits Of Ardha Sarvangasana
- Helps in proper thyroid functioning
- Strengthening of abdomen
- Stretches upper back
- Increases blood circulation
- Encourages relaxation
- Accentuates the flow of blood and energy to the brain
- Stimulates mental functions
- Enhances memory and concentration
- Relieve from some headaches
- Cures dyspepsia, constipation, appendicitis, other
gastro-intestinal disorders and varicose-veins
- Supplies large quantity of blood to the spinal roots of the
- Stops loss of hair or premature greying
- Enhances facial complexion
- Helps alleviate rheumatism
- Cures malfunctioning of the sexual organs
- Sublimes emotions of depression and neurasthenia
- Treats problems of insomnia
Who Should Not Do The Asan
There are some specific requirements for an aspirant to perform Ardha
Sarvangasana. He/she should be in the best of health, before trying the
asan. People suffering from cervical spondylitis, low back pain,
inflammation of the throat, blocked sinuses and high blood pressure
should not perform the asan. Also, people with heavy hips should not
attempt the asan, as the entire weight of the body is borne by the